My Idol

My Idol
" The real head of the family…low-voiced, incisive and subtle, smiles are rare…ruined beauty…contemptuous and original and with fierce family loyalty…even in disposition, muted, witty, sometimes deadly…given to low-keyed rhapsodies about her garden of deadly nightshade, henbane and dwarf’s hair..."- Charles Addams description of Morticia Addams

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Put on Your Sunday Best Kids....We're Going to Sears.

+


Today I woke up excited to go to a bookstore.  I then thought to myself, well, I could just order it online.  I loathe that I even have that option.  Sure, technology is great...convenient and helpful, but I really thought about it, as I lay in bed listening to the sounds of my child crying at the fact that his brute force couldn't rip the piano off of his exersaucer, I thought is this really the world my child is going to grow up in?  One where everything is so dang easy?  One where you no longer are able to enjoy the ambiance of a store, where you actually search out and seek what you are looking for, perhaps finding and learning about other things along the way?  One where you only have to even type the first 5 letters of "The Addams Family" before the search engine already guesses what you were looking for?  I really really am angry that I myself, get sucked in by this "oh so convenient method of shopping."  When I was a child it was an event to go shopping, a privledge, not a right....you put on your Sunday best and went to Sears.  Nowadays, people can get whatever they want, whenever they want it...everything has got to be fast and easy.  Shopping is no longer a family bonding experience.  I am hoping perhaps I can slow myself down a little and get back to basics and therefore modeling for my child that having an actual experience of seeking out and searching for something that you want is something good to do and to SLOW down a little.  No wonder these kids have A.D.D. these days...it's all too much....even shopping!  And let's not even get me started on cell phones....that will have to have it's own entire different post.  Well, it's time to go put on Sullivan and I's Sunday best...we are going to Barnes and Noble!!!

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I think what ends up happening is that parents don't want to take their kids to the mall because it will be "I want that!" MOMMY I NEED the new Hannah Montan doll with light up microphone!" Shut it kid, you get nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! That said, the experience of getting told "no" and learning to accept "no" as a child is really important! I think that is why kids are getting so bad...parents are growing up in a lazy world and being lazy parents! If more parents said "Shut it kid, you get nothing," they stuck by that motto and dealt with the hour or so of screaming that comes with that no then next time the kid will know who is boss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fast and easy... hmmmm... kids these days!

    ReplyDelete